Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Incoming




Summer hasn't held much travelin' vacation time for the Marine environment these past few years, and that's just fine. What I love just as much is OTHER people's vacations, when it's other people I love vacationing in Madison. The warmth and constant festivities has already drawn travelers from each coast and Rock Mama is overjoyed.
What a happy, musical reunion we had when Antonette and her sweet fella Greg came to town. 'Nettie and I used to share a home and a radio show as well as musical aspirations. Now she and Sweet G travel the world (for real) making their beautiful music as The Hobbyists. I hadn't seen her for 6 years before this visit and it was a very special, fun and amazing reconnection. After playing a gig together (with me in my new ukulele project The Meeses), we went to the farmers market, a craftacular, an outdoor party, and my favorite foody place The Weary Traveler, sparking ideas and finding joy in just catching up. In the evening before they left, they played a song on our organ at home just for Rosebud, who grinned from my lap. Keep your ears open for a Nettie/Rock Mama musical collaboration in a future near you!
As if that wasn't enough, I also got some local yard time with dear Carlo, who was passing through town in his many travels. Oh Carlo, dear friend, brother, sparring partner and honorary gilrfriend, it's like you're still always here! Huzzah. Despite also being a wandering minstrel, laying footprints from here to New York to the UK to Australia, Carlo still keeps the roots down in my town. We lolled in the back yard of his house, yapping happily (he, tiredly and me, sippingly) while Papa M and Rosebud played in the grassy expanse. See you in September, Carlo!
The threads never wear thin. I am blessed. Now, keep an eye on the calendar for August arrivals of Straubs and Nurse Jen.

No comments: