Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The King is 70







My dad has always referred to himself in the third person as "The King". We're very used to it. As his 70th birthday in January neared, my mom wanted to plan a very special celebration of this jump to a new decade. She loves surprises as much as I do (which is a lot) so planned a surprise party for The King two months early. It was held at the country club where he golfs so that he could be lured there unsuspectingly on a Sunday afternoon. And WOW, was he ever surprised. 80 of his closest friends showed up, as well as his family and what followed was declared the best day of his life. I'm sure this was due in part to the performance on ukulele by ME of a song called "It's Good To Be King". There was also lots of cake, cheap beer, and tears of joy. Long live The King!
At one point, my nephew Little M approached me outdoors, nodded his head in the direction of a parked golf cart, and said, "Someone left the keys in that. Want to?" Yes, Auntie wanted to. The youngster and I had a fine joyride all the hell over the golf course, and I even drove for awhile. We ran the power down on the cart, then parked it and walked away whistling. I like to lead by example.

No comments: